Wednesday, November 14, 2007

ASE Annual Conference 2008

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,


In relation to the previous post and just to prove how expensive it is to attend a conference. Alhamdulillah my abstract has been accepted to be presented in the ASE (the Association for Science Education) Annual Conference 2008. This will happen from 3-5 January 2008 at the University of Liverpool. Guess how much does it cost? It's GBP240.00 for 3 days. Alhamdulillah they give me 1 day free cos I'm presenting a paper, so it's GBP185.00, still! Now, I have to join the association which costs about GBP24.00 (quite cheap cause I'm a poor full-time student) but it will make my registration fee goes down to GBP100.00. That's not it. To travel from Cambridge to Liverpool by train and return, it costs GBP33.00 if I get the ticket early. Also, the accommodation! You think I'll be staying in a hotel room? No, it's going to be a room in the Halls that costs GBP54.00 a night. So, altogether, it is GBP100.00 (plus membership fee GBP24.00) + GBP33.00 + GBP108.00 = GBP265.00 x 7 (approx. Malaysian currency) = MYR1855.00!

I've just sent off 2 grant applications (one to my faculty, one to my college) to my supervisor to sign and then submit to them. Please make du'a that I got some money to go.

I'm not very excited to go to this conference not because of the cost, but I just think that I can't bear to waste 3 days there and not concentrating at my writing. I was planning to go for just a day to present my paper only. But then, my supervisor insisted that I should go for 3 days. Below are his reasons:
1. You will deserve a break - especially at that time of year!
2. Sometimes your brain needs time away from focusing on a particular issue
3. You can take some work with you if you feel uncomfortable
4. You should not follow your supervisor's example and become an
anti-social hermit
Wassalam.

p/s: He is not an anti-social hermit at all.

7 comments:

cakapaje said...

Salam Fatin,

First reaction: 2 grand! Wow!

Now, sober comment.

Hehe...sometimes people are not what they seem eh! Take yours truly for example. Why, I'm...I'm...I am lah! :)

Anyway, yes, if your faculty can give you the grant, do go! It may be a once-of opportunity. And I also agree with his points in green there.

Besides, you can take pictures (of yourself as well) and post it here :) I'm pretty sure gm and Nurul would love to see them.

Fatin said...

Assalamualaikum,

I'm no one but servant of ALLAH.

If I go travelling, I usually take the pictures of the locations and my friends, seldom myself. I don't like the idea that if you have been to a place, you must take a picture of yourself with the landmark to let people know that you have been there, why there's a need for an evidence as such? Anyway, that's just my personal view.

Wassalam.

FATIN

cakapaje said...

Fatin,

I mentioned it in jest and nothing else.

Anonymous said...

.all the best to you.

Fatin said...

Thanks GM!

Anonymous said...

i perfectly understand about the commitment of writing up a thesis. but my experience of attending an international conference, was a prestige one for my area, was really beneficial. Probably not quite for your current research, but for your future. and attending conference and all the sessions is really tiresome. but very fulfilling. 3 days, is a really a short time. see it as an opportunities to learn more of your prospect research. anyway, enjoy the trip, and hopefully it will benefit the ummah.

Fatin said...

Assalamualaikum Anonymous,

Thanks for your comment, yeah, it all depends on the funding now. If I got enough funding, I'll go iA.

Wassalam.