Friday, May 08, 2009

Conversion

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

In less than 2 weeks, two friends finally took the shahadah and chose the path of the Prophet Muhammad (saw) towards ALLAH. Alhamdulillah, alhamdulillah, alhamdulillah, ALLAHUakbar. I know them for quite a while and they have been consistently following the practice of Islam and joining ISOC activities. Both of them wanted Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad to be the witness of their conversion and had the blessing of Friday to come into this blessed religion, the way of life that ALLAH says in the Qur'an:
Surely the religion with ALLAH is Islam...

~ The Holy Qur'an, Surah Ali Imran (Chapter 3, The Family of Imran), verse 19.
The first sister took the shahadah at Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad's house with the presence of her mum. I feel so good to know that her mum actually blesses her decision even she is not inclined to Islam, yet. InshaALLAH, one day she will receive guidance from ALLAH with the prayer of her daughter. With this, the community of reverts in Cambridge is getting bigger. The good news is that, there is at least one conversion every year took place in Cambridge. This year we have two and hopefully more in the future. And these new sisters were Christians before this.

Talking about Christianity, yesterday I went to a dialogue between Christian and Muslim. I came because I really want to ask a Christian scholar the concept of Trinity because I honestly am very confused about it and have tried to ask friends to explain it to me, but I am still very confused. After the explanation by this Syrian Christian, I became more confused because during the explanation, he said that this doctrine is not written in the Bible or the text of the Apostles of Jesus but it's a product of the Christian Theologians (a few centuries later?). And during the explanation, he kept attacking Islamic concept which has no relevance to the concept of Trinity, such as the concept of eternity of the words of ALLAH (which is not something crucial to the creed of the muslims, the important concept is tawhid - oneness of God). Anyway, the more he explained, the more I'm confused and I can understand why more and more Christian friends either choose to be less practising or become muslims. This paragraph by no way to talk down Christianity, it might be just my incapability to understand the concept of Trinity and out of ignorance of Christianity that I said so.

Another concept of original sins and salvation on the Day of Judgement by just believing in the crucifixion of Prophet Jesus also doesn't seem appealing for me. A new born baby is so pure and sinless, how can the merciful God set sins on the baby before even he/she can survive by him/herself? How can sins be a kind of inheritance from our forefather? If salvation is guaranteed to all who believe in the sacrifice of Prophet Jesus on the cross, why are the Christians taught to ask for repentance, more so during the services in churches? Everyone should be responsible for their own actions. We earn our own rewards and sins, no one else can be accountable for other's action.

Anyway, I have more doubts about these few concepts in Christianity after attending the talk. I pray that ALLAH will guide me to the straight path, as well as all those sincere people who only wish for good for themselves and others.

ALLAHU'alam.

Wassalam.

p/s: sincere apology if there is anyone felt offended with this post, I have no intention to insult any followers of certain doctrines, it's just that I couldn't accept it after openly research and discuss about it.

1 comment:

[ lllydia ] said...

after reading your post, i find that u seem to be always confused.

i pray that ur mind will open to see the truths of Christianity,and come to an understanding of it.

The concept of the Trinity has always raised questions, but it's not entirely hard to understand.
It is made up of 3 persons:

1. God the father
2. Jesus Christ the Son
3. and the Holy Spirit.

They are essentialy the same Person. The different presence reflects how God is with us at every stage (from the days before, mentioned in the bible) up till now.

I hope that you are aware that the understnading of Jesus Christ is that he's not just merely a porphet, but God incarnate. Which is why Jesus is sinless. God is sinless. The beauty is the sacrificial love that God has for His people, so much so that He sent His son Jesus to die for our sins.

The belief and acceptance of salvation offered is a little different but not seperate from the repentances during services in churches. Salvation refers to the eternal life after death. We are saved from being damned. Repentances in churches reflects our accountability to God, not only just ourselves, since we believe in God. We are responsible for our actions, and we bear the consequences. You see, when we commit an action (that of an offence) we affect the people around us. And that includes God. It affects one's relationship WITH God.

I hope that helps clear up a few things.

There are also many concepts in Islam that I absolutely cannot come in terms with. For example, apostasy and polygamy among the many. How is that allowed? How can I believe in a religion which exercises such injustice? In any case, maybe u can answer them for me.