Sunday, February 18, 2007

Chinese New Year

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

Today is Chinese New Year. Celebrated by most of the Chinese around the globe. My family back in Malaysia posted me a proper Chinese New Year greeting card.


Alhamdulillah, I'm glad that they still remember me even though I'm living far away from them, although we are not having the same faith, we are still family. I pray that one day they will accept the faith that I'm in and may ALLAH guide us all to HIS straight path.

Chinese New Year reminds me of my childhood. It is the happiest day every year. We stayed up most of the night, talking, playing card-games, watching TV (there are lots of things to watch), playing with fire crackers... It was so much fun, especially when our parents gave us money (angpau or red packet). I enjoyed the hassle of moving all the furniture around to convert a shop into a big living room, ready to welcome all the guests. I enjoyed eating and drinking all those little things that we can only have during this festive season. I enjoyed the fact that we don't need to eat lunch and dinner because we were full just to eat from house to house, visiting friends and family. I enjoyed collecting money from relatives and parents' friends. It is a tradition that only unmarried persons can receive the money and once you are married, you have to start giving.

The ONE thing that I enjoyed most of this day is the Chinese New Year Eve's meal. This is a reunion dinner where everyone will come back from far just to sit together with all the family members, eat and drink and talk about life abroad. I have not done it for several years, especially after my conversion to Islam. However, if ALLAH wills, one day, inshaALLAH, I'll ve sitting there at home and eat halal food with everyone, inshaALLAH...

Wassalam.

No comments: