Facebook is a book to see people's faces. No, according to the Facebook, it is:
Facebook is a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. People use Facebook to keep up with friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, share links and videos, and learn more about the people they meet.It is like myspace, Hi5!, friendster, etc. Only that it is very popular initially just among the universities in UK and US. As it becomes more popular, the network is widen to around the world.

Some muslims call it FASADbook for its news feeds that helps stalking opportunity thus spread rumours and some call it Lower-your-gazebook. I was hesitated to open an account on facebook in my first year in Cambridge when many of my friends here asked me to do so, well, so that they can add me as their friend. It was at the end of my first year that I decided to join and now I have quite a number of friends and facebook helps me to keep in contact with them, especially those who have graduated from Cambridge. In any technological application, there must be pros and cons. While facebook is really good in social networking, many have suspected that it is a tool used by the CIA to spy on people. I am clean, so I don't have to worry about that and no, I don't waste a lot of my time on facebook because for me it is like checking my emails.
Surprisingly, facebook is also another tool that helps the election this time. As I said in a post before regarding how the blogs changes the country, I suspect that facebook also plays a little role in it. To my surprise, there are famous Malaysian political figures who have their accounts on facebook! Try Anwar Ibrahim, NikAziz NikMat, AbdulHadi Awang, DrLolo Ghazali, Lim Kit Siang, etc. I wonder if these are the real persons or just their 'personal assistants' who maintain the profile for them. BBC has reported that it may and may not be the real person. Actually, do these busy politicians have time to maintain their profiles on facebook? They even have 'funwall', 'superwall', etc. Really awe me! Many supporters wrote on their walls showing their support in this election as well as words of congratulation to these elected leaders. Seriously, are they for real?
ALLAHU'alam.
Wassalam.
2 comments:
Salam Fatin,
For many in the opposition, those comments you read are for real. Simply because the leaders of the opposition wants to know the feedback from the people so that they can assess or reassess their standing in the publics eye. To put up fake comments would only be detrimental to the aspiration of their struggle.
However, I can agree with you that the people manning most of these sites are their assistants - many of them being volunteers only. Still, I do know these leaders do look into and read the responses.
Assalamualaikum,
Wow! For us students, facebook is like kiddie stuff we play sometime. Students don't really get serious about facebook. While I am not saying the leaders are childish for using facebook, I am just astonish as how creative these leaders are or their volunteers are. Look like the volunteers who man the accounts on behalf of these leaders might be the leaders for the future.
Wassalam.
Post a Comment