Saturday, March 22, 2008

Rain, hail, sleet, snow...

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

After living in UK, a seasoned country, for more than 2 years, I still do not have much idea about the weather here. I knew that there are 4 seasons and that leaves drop in the autumn, snow comes in the winter, flowers blossom in the spring and sun comes out a lot cheerful in the summer, theoretically. Since the global warming comes in spotlight, I have been told that anything can happen in any season. It has been raining the whole morning and a bit of snow shower early in the morning. Today, while I was teaching in the mosque in the conservatory, heavy sleet hit the half-transparent roof and distracted my students. Later, while I was cycling home, snow flake came pouring from every direction, melted immediately as it reached my jacket and gloves. While I was disappointed for not being able to see snow, I wrote this post and found the definitions of all these terms regarding how snow is formed and the names of all these different types of phenomenon. And while I was writing this post, heavy snow was pouring down, so I stopped and took some pictures.

Hail on my jacket

Snow flake on the carpet

Snowed suddenly

Became very heavy

Snow hit on the fence

Thought it's going to be proper snow but it's just for a while

I thought that it will last for a long time and form proper snow but no, it stopped after about 10 minutes. So, no snow man to play this time. Last year, the snow was in February, which is still reasonable cause it's still considered as the end of winter. Today is March, end of March, considers it's spring but it was snowing today. Friends said that it's what they call the English weather. And now, looking out into the window, it is such a bright sunny day as the wind becomes slower.

O well, it's global warming... they said. So, nothing really exciting.

Wassalam.

No comments: