Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Murray Edwards College

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

Yesterday, I attended the New Hall garden party invited by the soon-to-be-retired President of New Hall, Anne Lonsdale. This was meant to be her retirement party too. We were all given by a surprise speech by her, not that she decided not to retire but New Hall has changed its name to Murray Edwards College. The rational and history behind this are all here. And yes, we have a new website too with new logo. When I try to search this new name, it's already on Wikipedia.

There were mixture of feelings among the students and staff. I think I am a very nostalgic person. Tears suddenly rolled down from my cheeks when I heard the speech. I couldn't take the change at that point and was thinking of raising more money in the future, beat this £30 million and rename the college into New Hall again. But that was a temporal feeling. Today, I think I'm happy with the change and think that it is a way forward for the college. Much of the things will remain the same anyway, it's just a name.

I remember having problem when the sisters' emailing list changed its name from skirt to entropy. I was also very upset by it but eventually came to realise myself. It's just the moment.

With such a long name, usually people will only remember part of it. Like Gonville & Caius College is known as Caius, Sidney-Sussex College is known as Sidney, Lucy Cavendish College is known as Lucy and Corpus Christi College is known as Corpus. I hope we will get a nice glamour name. Btw, what are we now? From New Hallers to...?

Wassalam.


No comments: