Thursday, March 01, 2007

Experience Islam Week 2007 ~ Day 6

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

I went to school today for my research. It's really far away from here but it's ok. With my head still full of Alwaan and EIW, I manage to interview 4 students today, alhamdulillah. So, I missed the talk today. The evening talk is only open to Cambridge Union members. I'm not a member, so I didn't come. But alhamdulillah, the result of the debate is to REJECT the motion, what an awful motion.
::: Afternoon Talk :::

Convivencia - Muslims, Christians and Jews in Islamic Spain

Time: 1.10pm
Venue: Bateman Auditorium, Gonville and Caius College
Speaker: Dr Amira K. Bennison

In the Middle Ages, throughout Europe, Jews were being confined to small
quarters and denied almost all trades. Yet in Spain, Jews, Muslims and
Christians spoke each others' languages, shared their philosophies,
theologies, science and cultures. It was "an interplay and fusion of social
and cultural forces," unique in the medieval world. What can explain this
unusual co-existence of members of the three faiths in medieval Spain?


::: Evening Talk :::

Debate at The Cambridge Union: "This House believes that Islam is
incompatible with western liberalism"

Time: 7.30pm
Venue: Union Chamber

Proposition Speakers: Douglas Murray, Mariella Fostrup, Sam Block

Opposition Speakers: Lord David Trimble, Jason McCue, Baron Lemont of
Lerwick, Timothy Winter

This event is open only to Union members.

Wassalam.

No comments: