Friday, October 12, 2007

Eid card from my family

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,


Though they are not Muslims, they are my family, my loves, my life. Even the Prophet (saw) said, if you are you give charity, make your family members the first priority. I love them as how they accept me as I am. Thanks for the card! It's priceless!

Who said once you become a Muslim, you will never have your family again? This is such a big misconception among the community, not just in Malaysia, I think all over the world, especially the non-muslim countries. The misconception in Malaysia is that, once you choose to become a Muslim, you are basically choose to become a Malay, meaning that you are no more your ethnic origin. How rubbish is that! You can't change your ethnic origin, ever. If you are a born Chinese, you are a Chinese forever, likewise if you are a Malay, you are always a Malay. If you can change your ethnic origin, why don't just say, well, I think I'm English or Jew or Arab??? Changing a faith is just changing what you believe in, not changing your identity. I still celebrate Chinese New Year and other Chinese traditional festivals which are not contradict with the teaching of Islam.

A religion doesn't belong to a group of people of the same ethnicity. If it does, it's not a religion, it's a tradition. Judaism for the Jews, Sikhism for the Sikhs, even the name of the religions have already claimed the ethnic groups they belong to, now can we say that it's a religion? Think again. Islam is for those who submit to One God (Muslims, tut tut, not Arabs); Christianity is for those who believe in the Jesus Christ (Christians), Buddhism is for those who believe in the teaching of Gautama Buddha (Buddhists); so, is Judaism for those who think the Jews is the most superior people among the rest of the human kind (well, you call the followers of Judaism as Jews, right?)? Anyway, I have no authority to say anything about it because the manipulation of all these terms can change things easily. If I said, you are an extremist, then tell me, what is extreme and what is not? Where to draw the line? It is a very relative thing. For one person, doing A is extreme while for another person, doing A might be not extreme at all, depends on your world view. Likewise the word anti-semitic, um, excuse me, Arabic is also a semitic language like Hebrew, so can an Arab be anti-semitic??? Can Muslims who learn Arabic, read Arabic and master Arabic be anti-semitic??? Think again. How sad the world is to just listen to one side.

ALLAHU'alam.

Wassalam.

5 comments:

cakapaje said...

Salam,

Fatin, masyAllah! I never even remotely suspected that you are a revert! I don't know what to say but, subhanAllah, alhamdulillah!

But what you mention here is true, especially the Malaysian scenario. I once told a muslim friend "Many Malays would rather follow a non-practicing muslim Malay rather than a devout and practicing muslim of Chinese or Indian heritage. A sad scenario, but true."

By the way Fatin, I am a moderator at Malaysia_Reverts yahoogroups. I seek you permission to send this entry to the group, and would like to invite you to become a member, may I?

Fatin said...

Ok

Unknown said...

Oh that's fantastic Fatin, your family are so lovely, you must be so so proud of them.

Wassalaamu habibti

Fatin said...

Assalamualaikum AT,

I'm so happy and proud of them, indeed. Please make dua for them.

Wassalam.

hidayahrodhi said...

my mum kirim salam..wish u eid mubarak